Student Visas

Applying for a visa

If you want to study in Australia, you must hold a valid student visa. The Australian Government issues all student visas and there are key criteria that must be met before your visa will be granted.

•Country Assessment Level

•English Language Proficiency



•Visa Subclass

You will also need to have a Letter of Offer and a Confirmation of Enrolment from Elite English Institute.

Australia introduced a simplified student visa framework (SSVF) on July 1st 2016. Under the SSVF all visa applications by international students and education agents are processed online by creating an account on ImmiAccount(opens in a new window).

Student visa (Subclass 500)

All of the following types of study are included on this visa. For more information about student visa, visit Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP)(opens in a new window):

  • independent ELICOS (English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students)
  • schools (primary and secondary)
  • secondary school exchange program
  • vocational education and training (VET)
  • higher education
  • postgraduate research
  • non-award courses
  • international students sponsored by the Department of Foreign Affairs or Defence.

Other visa options

For shorter periods of study, you can apply for a Visitor or Working Holiday Visa. There is also a visa option specifically for student guardians.

Visitor Visa (Subclasses 600, 601, 651)
  • Maximum 3 months study.
  • Intention to visit Australia is genuine.
  • Meet health and character requirements.
  • Sufficient money to support yourself during stay in Australia.

Read more about Visitor Visas(opens in a new window) on the DIBP website.

Working Holiday Visa (Subclass 417 and 462)
  • Maximum 4 months study.
  • Aged 18 to 30 years and hold an eligible passport.
  • Principal purpose to holiday in Australia.
  • Enter or remain in Australia as a genuine visitor.
  • Meet health and character requirements.
  • Sufficient funds for airfares and personal support for stay in Australia.

Read more about Working Holiday Visas(opens in a new window) on the DIBP website.

Student Guardian (Subclass 590)
  • Provides for certain persons to reside with a student in Australia, where the student requires a guardian, ie: the student is under 18 years of age.
  • Study up to 3 months or study ELICOS for 20 hours per week for duration of visa.
  • Meet Genuine Temporary Entrant requirement.
  • Sufficient funds for airfares and living costs.
  • Meet health and character requirements.
  • Acceptable health insurance.

Read more about Student Guardian visas(opens in a new window) on the DIBP website.

Temporary Graduate (Subclass 485)
  • This visa allows eligible international students who have completed an Australian education to stay in Australia to gain work experience.
  • You can work in Australia for a period of 18 months and up to 4 years, depending on your qualification.
  • This visa does not restrict the type of work you may do or the number of hours you may work.
  • Applications for this visa must be made in Australia and you must hold an eligible student visa in the last 6 months.
  • You must meet Australian study, English proficiency, health insurance, health and character requirements.
  • You must meet the specific requirements of the stream in which you are applying for this visa.

Read more about Temporary Graduate visas(opens in a new window) on the DIBP website.

Visa options and requirements are sometimes subject to change. In order to stay up to date, the best place to get accurate information is on the Department of Immigration and Border Protection(opens in a new window) website. The website provides comprehensive information on the types of visas available for different levels of study in Australia, including people considering bring family members with them (whether guardians, partners/spouses or children). You will also have access to help and advice about your specific visa requirements.

Another option is to contact an education agent, who can help with your visa application, course application, and answer any other questions.

The following rules and regulations apply to students holding a student visa.

Absences: Applications for leave of absence are only approved on compassionate or compelling grounds and when supported by substantial documentation. A leave of absence can only be granted for one semester and you will not be eligible for a refund of course fees.

If you’re granted a leave of absence you’ll be required to leave Australia within 28 days of the approved date of leave.

Students can arrive back in Australia two weeks prior to the start of the next semester. It is EEI’s responsibility to notify the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) when a student is granted a leave of absence.

Attendance: You must attend at least 80% of all scheduled classes during the semester. If you’re ill or have a personal problem that prevents you from maintaining 80% attendance at classes during the semester you must speak to your Student Adviser as soon as possible.

Completion: You’re required to complete your course within the expected duration as stated in your offer letter and the Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE).

Complying: All International students must comply with current visa conditions and regulations determined by the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP). For more detailed information on current visa conditions and regulations visit the DIBP website.

Deferring: If you’re not able to start the course you accepted you should write to Elite English Institute Admissions and complete a ‘Student Deferment Request Form’ form to commence in the next intake.

Extensions: You can apply for a student visa extension in Australia, as long as your student visa is not subject to a “no further stay” condition. You’re to apply for a new student visa 28 days before your current student visa expires.

Finances: You must have money to pay for tuition and living expenses for yourself, your spouse and your dependent children for the duration of your stay in Australia.

Gaps: You may only have a maximum of six to eight weeks break between courses. If you finish your course earlier you’ll need to leave Australia or enrol in alternative study in a CRICOS registered course during the interim.

Working: You’ll automatically receive permission to work with your visa grant but only up to 40 hours per fortnight whilst classes are in session. There is no restriction on the number of hours worked during official breaks of study in your course.

Latest News

2017-05-16 6:40

New Campus in Sydney

Elite English Institute is working on having a new campus in the heart of Sydney to compliment our facilities in Parramatta.  More news coming soon.